29 Jul Stavishche
First mentioned in historical documents in 1622 as a Polish settlement Lubomirz that was soon destroyed by Tatars. The modern name originates from stavok that means pond in Ukrainian which points to the abundance of fishable water in the vicinity.
In 1774, the town was gifted to Count Ksawery Branicki by a Polish king and remained in the family after Russia annexed Ukraine in 1793. Residents paid rent to the Count.
Jews settled in the town in the mid-1700s and referred to it as Stavisht. At the beginning of the twentieth century the Jewish population was about 4500, almost half of the total population.