29 Jul Petrograd
Posted at 15:18h in Glossary 0 Comments
City built by Peter the Great but named after St. Peter.
St. Petersburg was renamed to Petrograd at the beginning of WWI in 1914 when Russia was at war with Germany. The German -burg was replaced with Russian -grad, both meaning city.
When Lenin died in 1924 Petrograd was renamed to Leningrad, the city of Lenin. It kept this name until 1991 when it was reverted to St. Petersburg.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.